Caring for eyelash extensions is the key for a longer eyelash life. It will keep them looking glamorous all day long. In addition, here are some tips on eyelash extension care to remember when wearing your eyelash extensions.
First, when having eyelash extensions, one of the first and simplest rules is not to wear mascara. Mascara has oils in it which will break down the glue holding your extensions in place. This will cause the extensions to become loose and you will risk having them fall out too early.
To take care, you shouldn’t use an eyelash curler on your eyelash extensions. These extensions are already curled. If you attempt to use a curler on them it will crimp them. This changes the shape they were designed to hold.
Also, you will want to avoid using eyeliner near your extensions. If you use a liquid liner, it will clump the extensions and cause it to be difficult to remove. If you just can’t go without eyeliner, use a powder-based one.
How To Clean Around Your Eyes
Likewise, when you are cleaning on or around your eyes, avoid anything with lint in it like cotton balls and Q-tips. Eyelashes are really attracted to lint, which will get caught in the extensions and is pretty difficult to remove.
If you are using make-up remover, try choosing an oil-free remover. A great remover we have found is Johnson and Johnson Baby Shampoo. Most importantly, it makes an excellent, simple remover because it is gentle, effective and oil-free.
It is extremely important to wash your face every night. It is normal to have some mites on the eyelashes. People who tend to leave heavy makeup on overnight are open to Demodicosis. Therefore, this condition causes the eyelashes to fall out, because of too many eyelash mites. Don’t skip this vital step in your eyelash care!
Lastly, the key to having your eyelash extensions last a long time is not to touch them. This means you will want to avoid rubbing them, pulling at them, and sleeping on them. A good habit to get into is sleeping on your back or side. I hope this information helps you keep your eyelash extensions beautiful and long lasting.
The First Day Of Eyelash Extensions
Eyelash Extensions are easy to care for. But, to help your lashes last as long as possible you will need to follow the aftercare instructions provided below. Your Lash Artist will have discussed or sent a paper on proper eyelash extension care with you at your eyelash appointment.
After the first few days of having eyelash extensions your eyelash extensions lashes are in for reasonably low maintenance. Mostly needing only the tiniest bit of special attention.
Below are some rules you should follow to give your lashes maximum lifetime.
Eyelash Extension Care:
- First, wash your lashes every other day or at least 4 times a week with the recommended lash cleanser. There is a range of aftercare products for purchase at affordable prices. If you are unsure of what products to use please ask your technician.
- If your lashes are wet, use a hairdryer on the cool setting to carefully dry your lashes. Comb through gently with a mascara wand.
- For best results avoid spas, tanning, excessive steam, and anything involving getting your lashes wet for the next 48 hours. In addition, take care when showering, exercising and opening microwaves, ovens, etc.
Daily Eyelash Extension Care
It is of the very important that the area around the eye and lashes are kept clean. This is very important, especially when wearing lash extensions. Not doing so can result in irritation and inflammation that will cause damage your natural lashes. If you are experiencing any irritation please contact your Lash Artist immediately.
- Clean lashes daily using your salon’s recommended Lash wash/ cleanser
- Avoid any oil based products near lashes, they will weaken the bond of the adhesive
- Then, groom lashes every day, especially in the morning; this helps to keep their look beautiful at all times and helps to keep them nicely separated
- Treat lashes gently resist rubbing, pulling, picking or tugging any lashes
- Don’t use any waterproof mascara or perm/tint lash extensions
- A waterproof coating sealant is optional to use 2-3 times a week. It will extend the life of lash extensions and help
Lash cycles grow around every 4-6 weeks, where you can lose about 20% of your natural lashes. But don’t worry baby ones have already grown to replace them, which is why you have probably never noticed. Sadly, it can be hard to determine which lash is ready to fall out naturally. It is unpredictable when applying synthetic lashes. Every day we can lose 3-5 natural lashes, but often they fall out unnoticed.
Benefits Of Using A Silk Pillow Case:
- Less pulling on skin and hair that prevents hair snagging and lines on face
- Helps hair retain moisture from its natural oils and products
- Les tangling, breakage, and frizz
- Cleaner sleep surface that is better for allergies and breakouts
However, when eyelash extensions are applied we are more aware of when they shed. We know the extensions are there plus they are longer, darker and thicker. If you sleep on your stomach with your face squashed into the pillow or you prefer sleeping on one side you may notice the lashes may not last as long. We recommend booking a refill every 3-4 weeks to keep the full maintained look. Look out for your lash cycle, as right after is the perfect time for a refill!!
Lash Care FAQ
Am I able to apply eye makeup and mascara to eyelash extensions?
Yes, you can, the normal use of eye makeup is fine. However, you should not find it necessary to use mascara on a daily basis. If you would like to use mascara at any time it is essential that you use only water-based mascara. Be aware that regular use of mascara will shorten the lifespan of your lash extensions. Special care must also be taken when removing makeup. Remember it is important not to use any products that contain oil or glycols. They will weaken the adhesive bond and cause eyelash extensions to fall off prematurely.
Should I swim, shower exercise or visit a spa while having eyelash extensions on?
Absolutely! Try to do those activities after the first couple of days having lashes on. Most adhesives are strong and waterproof so they will withstand normal wear and tear. But, following the proper after-care instructions provided, lash extensions will not stop you from your lifestyle activities. As provided in the instructions, special care in the first 48 hours is very important to strengthen the adhesive bond. Allowing it for time to cure.
How can I remove eyelash extensions?
For any reason you would like to have your eyelash extensions removed, please do not attempt to pull them off. This can possibly cause damage to your natural lashes. Professional removal is extremely quick, efficient and inexpensive. Most importantly it protects your natural lashes.